|The heart of Virginia Seminary remains centered in community, where formation for ordained and lay ministry emphasizes the ministries of preaching, teaching, pastoral care, and social justice, all amidst a faithful life of prayer, worship, study and fellowship. At the same time, the Seminary reaches out to engage the needs of the Church and the wider world in many caring and creative ways:
- preparing students, as servants of Jesus Christ, who think critically and make theologically informed and compassionate responses to the needs of people;
- welcoming students throughout the world to share the needs and aspirations of their communities, and enhance the spiritual and educational formation of the VTS community;
- offering international and cross-cultural experiences to foster the missionary spirit as a component of spiritual formation;
- increasing Christian awareness and responsibility as stewards of God's creation, to help safeguard 'this fragile earth our island home';
- celebrating racial and ethnic diversity in course curriculum and community life;
- serving leaders of Church schools, through a Doctor of Ministry in Educational Leadership;
- enhancing ministerial leadership in the formation of communities of faith, through an ecumenical Doctor of Ministry in Ministry Development;
- graduating educators and youth leaders with a Master of Arts in Christian Education;
- supporting mid-career clergy serving in small congregations at the Summer Collegium;
- creating opportunities for theological inquiry by the laity at the Evening School of Theology, Fridays at the Seminary, and other offerings of the new Institute for Christian Formation and Leadership;
- mentoring newly ordained leaders through a First Three Years in the Priesthood residency program;
- reaching out to the wider Church through the Center for Anglican Communion Studies.
Since its founding in 1823, a tradition of generous giving has enabled Virginia Seminary to prepare the hearts and minds of those who bring the good news of Christ to the world. Today Virginia Seminary must grow to keep pace with the cost of its expanding mission.
Your gifts enable the Seminary to prepare men and women to address timeless needs in an ever-changing world, without the oppressive burden of significant educational debt incurred while at Seminary. Your gifts also allow the Seminary to meet the needs of congregations and communities in the wider church at a time of great challenge and opportunity.
The Seminary depends upon the philanthropy of all our friends, and we are forever grateful for that support.