PRINT THIS PAGE

Bishop Payne Divinity School

Bishop Payne Divinity School was founded in Petersburg, Virginia, in 1878, to train African-Americans for ministry in the Episcopal Church of the United States. When Bishop Payne Divinity School closed in 1949 and merged with Virginia Theological Seminary, the latter institution inherited its records and its heritage. Thus while the Bishop Payne Divinity School was named for a VTS graduate, the Rt. Rev. John Payne, VTS 1836 and First Missionary Bishop to Liberia, the Bishop Payne Library was named for the Divinity School to keep alive its memory and heritage.

The Archives is the official repository for the records of the Bishop Payne Divinity School. It also collects the papers of its students, faculty, and individuals important to its history.

On-line documents: Other collections:

Bryan, Corbin Braxton, Papers
Jacobs, Solomon, Papers

On-line documents:
It can be done by Odell Greenleaf Harris
The autobiography of a Black priest of the Protestant Episcopal Church who started under the bottom and moved up to the top.  Published Alexandria, Va., PETSV, 1985.

It can be done by Odell Greenleaf Harris
The autobiography of a Black priest of the Protestant Episcopal Church who started under the bottom and moved up to the top.  Published Alexandria, Va., PETSV, 1985.