Anglican Communion Collection
The particular strengths of the Bishop Payne Library collection are in the areas of biblical studies, church history, theology, the Protestant Reformation, missions, liturgics and music. It is a major resource for the study of Anglicanism. The collection includes source materials from many of the provinces and dioceses of the international Anglican Communion. Special collections include the Charles Winfred Douglas Memorial Collection which emphasizes Episcopal hymnody as well as the Anglo-Catholic plainchant revival.
The library collection numbers over 225,000 volumes of books and bound periodicals and 190,000 e-books. The library receives 700 current journals, periodicals, and newspapers in print and subscribes to over 20 computer research databases of indexes and full-text journal articles.
|The Assyrian Reliefs were originally part of the walls of the palace and temples built in Calah (Nimrud) by Ashurnasirpal II (884 – 860 BC). They are made of gypseous alabaster. The human head figure is from the south end of the king’s palace, and the hawk-headed figures are probably from the temple of Ninurta, the Assyrian god of war. The ceremony depicted in both reliefs is the fertilization of the sacred tree from buckets filled with holy water or sacred pollen. The inscription, in Akkadian, gives the titles and genealogy of the king, describes his military conquests and concludes with an account of the rebuilding of the capitol. The reliefs were probably acquired by Dr. Henri B Haskell, a friend of Dr. Joseph Packard and were sent to America in 1859.|
Catalog & Electronic Resources