VTS' Bishop Payne Library Dedicates Charles Winfred Douglas Memorial Collection
Today the seminary community is honored to host the annual conference of the Association of Anglican Musicians on campus. The Association has long-standing connections to VTS: Professor Emeritus Raymond Glover was one of the founders of the Association. Professor Bill Roberts is a member of the conference planning committee, which is co-chaired by one of our chapel musicians, Tom Smith (also of Redeemer, Bethesda).
As part of the day’s activities, you are cordially invited to the Bishop Payne Library’s dedication of the Charles Winfred Douglas Memorial Collection. The library will host an Open House from 1:00 – 2:00 p.m. today, with displays in the main reading room. Cake will be served. At 1:30 p.m., we will have a brief liturgy in the library to dedicate the collection.
Charles Winfred Douglas was editor of the Hymnals 1916 and 1940 and had an enormous impact on Episcopal Church music. He is known for the breadth of his hymn selections, effective pairings of text and tunes, introduction of plainsong, fresh translations, and sensitive harmonizations and arrangements. The collection, formerly housed at the Washington National Cathedral and now owned by VTS, includes Douglas’ publications, music manuscripts, and annotated books, as well as an extensive library of hymnals, liturgical works, and plainsong editions (some of considerable rarity) assembled by Douglas and other Cathedral musicians. This is a very special event for the VTS community. Please welcome our musician and clergy guests to campus, and please do attend the collection opening at the library this afternoon.
The Very Rev. Ian S. Markham, Ph.D.
Dean and President