FUNDING BLACK EPISCOPALIANS SINCE 1988
Bishop Payne Divinity School (BPDS) was established in 1878 in Petersburg, Virginia, to prepare Black men for ministry in the Episcopal Church. The School was named for the Rt. Rev. John Payne (1815–1874), who graduated from VTS in 1836 and was the first missionary bishop to Liberia.
In 1953, Virginia Theological Seminary and Bishop Payne Divinity School merged, and the assets of BPDS became the principal for the Bishop Payne Scholarship Fund. The Fund has provided financial assistance to Black Episcopalian men and women at Virginia Theological Seminary since 1988.
PREPARATION FOR MANY VOCATIONS
The master’s level programs at Virginia Theological Seminary are grounded in the Gospel of Jesus Christ and prepare men and women for leadership and service in the Church and in the world. Some who study at VTS will be ordained and serve as clergy in the church, while others will carry the knowledge and skills they learn into other professions. In the last few years, VTS graduates have chosen some of the following vocations:
- Congregational ministry
- Chaplaincy in schools or colleges
- Teaching and administration in educational settings
- Mission field work
- Professions in faith-based and non-governmental organizations working on issues of social justice and global economic concerns
- Scholarly research, writing, and teaching