The Rev. Jeanne Hansknecht of Plymouth, Michigan, and the Rev. Luther Zeigler (‘07), Episcopal chaplain at Harvard University, have been named recipients of Virginia Theological Seminary’s 2014 John Hines Preaching Award. John Hines Preaching Award. The award is given annually to the outstanding preaching entry “where prophetic voice is central within the sermon.”
1. Who is Eligible? All Bishops, Priests, Deacons and Laity of the Episcopal Church in America. Sermons preached outside the United States by clergy who are canonically resident in a diocese of the Episcopal Church USA and by lay people who are parishioners in an Episcopal Church USA congregation will be acceptable entries for the award.
2. What Type of Entries Are Accepted? The prophetic voice must be central within the sermon. Only one sermon per preacher can be submitted, and it should be in text form. Entries can be sent by email as a Word document attachment to: HinesAward@vts.edu or by mail to the Seminary.
3. How Is the Winner Determined and Who Are the Judges? The John Hines Preaching Award Committee will evaluate and judge each entry without knowledge of the identity of the entrant. Entries should be sermons delivered to a congregation sometime between Advent 2014 and the end of the last Sunday of Pentecost 2015. Entries must be received by the Committee by February 15, 2016. The award recipient will be announced in the spring of the year 2016.
4. What Is the Award? A cash prize of $2,000 will be given to the winner for his/her use.
5. When is the Presentation Made? The presentation will be made in the year that the award recipient is announced. It is hoped that the Awardee will be able to spend time at the Seminary, preaching and meeting with students, faculty, and alumni. The presentation of the award would occur at that time.
The John Hines Preaching Award Committee Virginia Theological Seminary 3737 Seminary Road Alexandria, VA 22304 1-800-941-0083
Named in honor of the former Presiding Bishop of the Episcopal Church, John Hines (VTS ’33), the award celebrates the ministry of preaching and its importance in our Church by recognizing outstanding sermons that are deeply grounded in scripture and focused on the seen and unseen needs of the worshipping community, the nation and the world. More>
3737 Seminary Road, Alexandria, Virginia 22304 | Phone: 703-370-6600 or 800-941-0083 | Employee Directory