Established in November 2008, the Dean’s Cross award recognizes outstanding leaders who embody their baptismal vows to “strive for justice and peace among all people and respect the dignity of every human being.” Selected annually by the Seminary Dean in consultation with the Chair of the Board, the Honorees receive a handmade silver cross, modeled after the Seminary Chapel cross, and a certificate.
“Our work here at Virginia Seminary is formation,” said the Very Rev. Ian Markham, dean and president of Virginia Seminary, “and this award celebrates the well-formed life, which involves living out the values of the baptismal covenant and making a difference in society.”Recipients
February 15, 2009
- Mrs. Octavia “Tay” Wood Cooper from Ponte Verde, FL.
- The Rev. Canon Harold T. Lewis, Ph.D., D.D., D.C.L, from Pittsburgh, PA.
December 6, 2009
- The Rt. Rev. Carolyn Tanner Irish from Salt Lake City, UT.
- Mr. David R. Pitts from Baton Rouge, LA.
December 5, 2010
- Mr. Alfred Rives Berkeley III from Baltimore, MD.
- Mrs. Muriel Van Dusen Berkeley from Baltimore, MD.
- Mrs. Phoebe W. Griswold from Philadelphia, PA.
December 11, 2011
- Mr. Rowan LeCompte from Waynesboro, VA
- The Rev. Dr. Joseph Walter Lund from Rancho Mirage, CA.
- Ms. Sissy Poland from Martinsburg, WV.
December 9. 2012
- The Rev. Dr. Russell J. Levenson, Jr. from Houston, TX.
- The Ven. Charles B. Tachau from Louisville, KY.
- Ms. Delois Burney Ward from Raleigh, NC.
December 8, 2013
- Dr. Eben Alexander III from Lynchburg, VA.
- The Rev. Dr. Canon Michele V. Hagans from Silver Spring, MD.
December 7, 2014
- Ms. Madeleine Albright from Washington, D.C.
- Mr. Wendell Berry from Port Royal, KY.
- Fr. Jesus Antonio Rojas from Smithfield, NC.
December 6, 2015
- Mrs. Barbara Bush from Houston, TX.
- Mr. Robert E. Frye from Springfield, VA.
- Mr. Stanley B. Hubbard, Jr. from Hendersonville, NC.