Field Education (Field Ed.) Supervisors from parish and chaplaincy sites collaborate with Virginia Theological Seminary to offer high quality supervision to seminarians being formed as leaders in God’s church. This partnership is essential to a healthy, life-giving Field Ed. experience.
The work of a dedicated Field Ed. Supervisor includes:
- Creating a safe environment for the seminarian to explore their questions, concerns, joys and struggles in the Field Ed. experience
- Reflecting with the seminarian on the supervisor’s and/or the seminarian’s leadership and ministry experiences at the Field Ed. site
- Engaging the seminarian in reflecting theologically on their ministry at the Field Ed. site
A full list of expectations can be found in the Supervisor’s Covenant with VTS, in the downloads box at right.
To support supervisors in this important ministry, the Department of Field Education offers eight monthly supervisor trainings, grouped according to level of experience supervising seminarians:
- Level I- Those supervising a seminarian for the first time
- Level II- Those in their second or third year of being a supervisor
- Level III- Those with more than three years of experience
In order to advance to the next level, supervisors will need to attend at least five of the eight training sessions, including the Fall Orientation and Winter Plenary sessions.