Students enrolled in a degree program at VTS have access to all of the resources of the Bishop Payne Library, whether on campus or at a distance.
While on Campus
- Each student will be issued a photo ID card that also acts as your library card through the patron barcode attached to the back of your ID.
- While in residence, students may check out up to 75 items at a time. These items are checked out for a four-week period with the option for two four-week renewal if there are no holds on the item.
- Once the student has left the campus, items can be returned via U.S. mail or UPS. The items will be checked in upon arrival using the postmarked date.
- The library reserves the right to recall an item if it is needed by another student or for a course reserve. You have five days to return a recalled item.
- We have recently had some problems with distance students not returning materials. Please honor the community covenant by sharing resources. You will need to return your books and clear any outstanding fines before enrolling in the next class session.
While away from Campus
- The library will ship you items via UPS. Each package will contain five items at a time, up to your limit of 75 items total. The library will pay the cost of shipping items out while the patron pays for return postage.
- The library catalog is available at any time at http://librarycatalog.vts.edu.
- Patrons may access their library accounts from the catalog page.
- On the right side of the page, under “My Library”, click on “My Account.”
- Enter your last name (ex. Smith) and the full library barcode from your library card (ex. BVTS0000000000). The barcode must include all digits, but no spaces, and is case sensitive.
- Once access to your record has been attained, you are able to see what items you currently have checked out and renew items that are eligible for renewal. Item eligible for renew are those that have not been renewed yet, on or before the due date, with no outstanding fines.
- While enrolled as a student, you have access to the library’s electronic resources, including ATLA Religion, EBSCO’s Philosophy and Religion collection, and Psych Abstracts, among others. These databases can be found at http://vts.libguides.com/eresourcesBysubject.
- If you are trying to access resources away from campus, the system will need to validate you as a currently enrolled student. To do this, you will be asked to enter your full name and your library barcode.
- Many of the articles in these databases are full-text so that you will be able to get access from anywhere.
- To gain access to articles that are not found full-text but are available at the Bishop Payne Library, notify the library through firstname.lastname@example.org and the staff will copy and send the article to you at a charge of five cents per page.
- While on campus, a student may request items that are not owned by the Bishop Payne Library through interlibrary loan. These items must be used within the library while the student is in residence.
- Due to the nature of the interlibrary loan system, books are loaned from one library to another. Therefore, the borrowed items cannot be mailed to a third party.
- Interlibrary loans that are photocopies will be mailed to you.
Please feel free to contact us with your research questions by phone at 703-461-1733, by e-mail at email@example.com
or by fax at 703-370-0935.