Housing Subsidy Program
Virginia Theological Seminary provides a housing subsidy for eligible couples and single parents to defray the cost of rent.
To be eligible for the off-campus housing subsidy, a student must be enrolled full-time (12 credit hours) and live in an Additional Student Housing unit. Occasionally, if there is not a unit available that would meet a family’s needs, a student may be awarded housing subsidy for an apartment rented off-campus, but students must contact the Director of Housing first to determine eligibility (students must also qualify for need-based financial aid in order to be approved to seek alternate housing arrangements and still obtain the housing subsidy). The monthly housing subsidy rates, based on the student’s family size, are currently:
Couple - $700
Student with 1 Child - $850
Student with 2+ Children -$1,050
Timeline and Due Dates
Students who wish to live in one of the on-campus apartment units should complete the Additional Student Housing Request Form to inform the Director of Housing of the size and location of the desired unit, and the date they wish to occupy the unit. Priority for assignment to specific apartments is determined by the date the Seminary receives the student's registration and degree fee deposit, which is payable only after one has been offered admission. This request form will be made available to incoming students in the spring. The housing subsidy begins August 1 for entering students. As long as the student meets the eligibility requirements, the subsidy will continue until the month the student graduates or leaves seminary.
Once an applicable housing unit becomes available:
* The student is assigned to the unit.
* Students complete a rental application and return it to the Director of Housing, along with a $30 application fee per adult (other than the student). The Seminary will complete a background check for all adults who will reside in the unit, besides the student, who will have completed a background check during the application process.
* VTS and student sign the lease and student is responsible for paying a security deposit. Students are responsible for all property damage upon vacating the apartment.
* Students inform the Director of Housing of their arrival date, so it can be arranged for the Director of Housing or a surrogate to be on campus to provide keys and a walk through.
* After moving in, students pay the net rent (rent less VTS subsidy) to the Seminary, and report any maintenance issues to Seminary maintenance.
* Students are responsible for their part of the rent until graduation or departure from seminary. Students receive the subsidy through May 31 and must vacate the apartment no later than June 30 following their graduation.
Additional Housing Options
Some students prefer to live in other housing. The Seminary maintains a very limited file on other apartments in the area and a list of houses whose owners want to rent to seminarians. Craigslist, Washington Post classifieds, and apartment guides on the Internet are also helpful. Students choosing these alternative housing options will not qualify for the housing subsidy. Students have lived or are living in the following apartment complexes:
Braddock Lee- 2423 Menokin Dr #11, Alexandria, VA. Garden style apartments located in close proximity to the Seminary. Cats and Dogs allowed
Fairlington – Individually owned and rented apartments and townhouses. Bordered on the East by Quaker Lane, and the West and South by King Street (Route 7). The cost and the pet policy vary per unit. Model information. Contact a real estate office for rentals and purchases. Long and Foster Realtor has a Fairlington Office. Fairlington is located in both the City of Alexandria and Arlington Country, which have separate school systems.
Foxchase Apartments, 320 North Jordan Street, Alexandria, VA. (703.823.3500) Cats and small dogs are allowed. Employees of Alexandria Hospital receive a discount.
Mark Center has five other apartment complexes besides Willow Run at Mark Center. All are located across I-395 and are called Brookdale, Hillwood, Lynbrook, Meadow Creek and Stoneridge. Map of Mark Center Properties.
ParkFairfax are individually owned and rented garden style townhouse/apartments. East of Quaker Lane between I-395 and King Street (route 7). At 3360 Gunston Road there is a book which lists apartments for rent.
Park Shirlington, 4510 South 31st Street, Arlington, VA. (703.931.1900) Cats are allowed. The management and pool is shared with Braddock Lee.
The Point at Alexandria, 205 Century Place, Alexandria, VA. (703.370.0781) Cats and small dogs are allowed.
Seminary Towers, 4701 Kenmore Avenue, Alexandria, VA. (703.751.0202) Cats are allowed.